Historical Virtual Reality - Diocletians Dream - An Interview with Declan O Rourke
An Interview we conducted with Declan O Rourke of Palace Productions
1. What inspired you to create an experience for Diocletian Palace?
A 2000 year old palace and majority want to see the palace, but as it’s a ruin, and I was always interested in seeing at how it would look. I wanted to visualise, even the tour guides could never really believe what it would like - Tourists & locals are now seeing what they have always had to try imagine.
2. What attracted you to use VR technology in order to tell this story?
I have seen the potential for VR a few years ago when I read an article about creating a new virtual world. It has to be the way of the future of people with Disabilities & History. 5-10 years
3. What type of impact do you believe VR/AR will have on the tourism industry in the future?
From the comments of the Tourism of VR/AR in your city you are losing out and I believe its essential for any tourism destination who has the history. This is the future of presenting history.
4. What type of visitor did you have in mind when you came up with this idea?
2 people in mind – Local Croatian people and people visiting – Over 1 million people visit.
5. How did you find working with Emagine?
To be honest I was surprised how well it went, but there was moments were we learned how to communicate better and then we had Covid-19. We really loved the way the guys showed
6. How you feel now when you see the completed project?
Im very proud of how it came out – it has already had amazing view. When you see a local person with goosebumps. A local girl remarked” I am so proud to live it such a beautiful place”
7. What do you consider as the measurements of success of this project?
To have something that city is proud of and that people who come here are delighted and entertained. A lot of people understna d